Monday, February 27, 2012

Pepperoni Calzone


Let's talk comfort food... Italian comfort food! We have a local italian restaurant here that makes the BEST calzones, and you can get just about anything you want in them. The first time I tried them, I knew I had to make them at home. How hard could it be... right? I was right... my method was a piece of cake!

My wife and I were having a date night at home watching a movie, so I thought it'd be great to make these for us. The easiest part is the crust. I'm all for making a homemade pizza dough... believe me, they're awesome, but if you're looking for a quick dinner with little effort, this is your meal. I used a whole grain pizza dough from the local grocery store, and it never fails. Each ball of dough makes two calzones.

I start with the dough, roll it out slightly on a cutting board, and cut it in half. Then, I roll it and stretch it out until it's about 1/4 inch thick.

Let me fill you in, if you're new to the whole pizza dough thing. A few years back, when I got my first pizza dough, no one told me this, so I feel obligated to let you know. Pizza dough is very elastic, and you have to work with it, and be patient. Here is a great video on preparing pizza dough. I prefer the throwing method myself, but this works fine too.


Next, I start adding my ingredients! Pepperoni... fresh parmesan and mozzarella cheese.


Then, you fold the dough over...


Pinch it closed...


Then finally, crimp the edges with a fork to seal it completely. Brush the top with an egg wash and throw it in the oven, and your done! This is GREAT for dipping in homemade ranch! I hope you like it!

Pepperoni Calzone

1 Pizza dough
Pepperoni
Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
1 egg
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 375*

Roll your pizza dough out slightly, and cut in half. Then begin to work each half rolling it out, and stretching it into a flat, 1/4 inch oval.

Next, add your pepperoni, and cheeses. Let's get crazy. Add as much as you want... as long as you can still seal it!

Then, fold it over, and pinch dough together with your fingers. Then crimp with a fork. Beat one egg, and brush the top with the egg wash. **Be careful to evenly distribute the egg wash. If it collects near the bottom of the crust, and it create a harder crust.

Cook for 20-25 minutes, and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment