Friday, April 6, 2012

Whole Grain Vanilla Bean Scones


It's Good Friday y'all! ...and these scones are the perfect way to start out your day... your snack... your lunch... or your dinner for that matter. I always talk about portion control on this blog... but...

I've got bad news...

I've had five of these scones since this morning! FIVE.

They're whole grain, so that makes it okay, right? Don't answer that.

Something about Spring gets me pumped. It makes me want to hike, go fishing, camp out, and take my wife on picnics with our dog.


...but my life these days has me consuming more of this than anything else. Ashlynn and I graduate in less than a month!... and the pressure is on! Projects, tests, assignments, presentations... you name it, it's due in the next 3 weeks.

But at least now I have something to go with the coffee!

These scones are light, buttery, and just sweet enough, and go perfect with a tall glass of Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

I hope you like it.


Whole Grain Vanilla Bean Scones


1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 egg
3/4 cup Vanilla almond milk (Regular will do fine)
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 T pure vanilla extract

for icing:

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp water
1 T pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 425.

Mix together the vanilla bean, milk and egg in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with a fork or by hand until the mixture has the texture of sand.

Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together until a wet dough forms.

Pat dough into a large rectangle on a baking sheet and cut into sixteen triangle pieces. Separate the pieces about an inch apart and bake for 16 minutes or until golden.

Let scones cool completely, then drizzle icing over scones, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment