Monday, September 10, 2012

Potato Pancakes


Guys... I have to tell you about this book! It doesn't matter who you are, if you love food, you'll love it! Jenna Weber, author of the blog Eat Live Run, and has just released this book as her first novel. It follows her throughout culinary school, the ups and downs, the pitfalls... the possibilities.... wait... I'm quoting Back to the Future.

Anyway,

get this book. Take it from me, you'll love it! It's heartfelt, sincere, and will stir something inside of you that can't be explained. Get it here!


One of my favorite recipes so far in the book is "Potato Pancake for the Blues." It's an incredibly easy recipe, and is so satisfying after a long, hard day... wherever you are. I may or may not have fixed these twice yesterday.


Start by grating a russet potato. Then, in a bowl, add an egg, salt, and pepper, and then fry it in a cast iron skillet until golden.


Amazing. The recipe calls for one jumbo pancake, but I split mine in half, and made my wife and I two smaller pancakes.

I hope you like it!

Potato Pancakes for the Blues
from White Jacket Required by Jenna Weber

1 large russet potato
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon canola oil for light frying.
Applesauce or sour cream for topping (I used ketchup)

Peel the potato and grate using a box grater. Season with sea salt and pepper and add the beaten egg, mixing everything until well combined.

Heat the canola oil in a large cast-iron skilled over medium-high heat. When oil is sizzling, gently drop in the potato batter and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.

Remove and serve immediately with applesauce or sour cream, alongside pork and eggs!



No comments:

Post a Comment